Tubing is an important component in hydraulic and pneumatic applications. It can be made from a number of different materials, and selecting the right tubing for the job will often depend on the conditions of the application.
One of the most effective and durable materials to make tubing from is stainless steel. Many industries use stainless steel as a standard because it offers several superior properties compared to other materials.
Benefits of using stainless steel tubing
The properties of stainless steel offers many advantages, making it a versatile and reliable material for tubing and instrumentation applications.
Stainless steel is:
- Strong – it has higher mechanical properties and strength than other tubing options and performs well even in high stress situations such as extreme heat.
- Ductile – stainless steel can be drawn out and made thin without losing any of its strength or toughness. This means it can be used to make strong tubing with thin walls.
- Resistant to corrosion – compared to most other metal tubes, stainless steel is much more resistant to corrosion, oxidation and high temperatures. It also resists corrosion in seawater environments, making it a smart choice for marine applications.
- Smoothness & less resistance – since stainless steel tubing is less prone to corrosion and rust, it will remain smoother longer than other materials. This is valuable because it means less resistance to the flow of hydraulic fluid, and improved overall efficiency.
- Versatile – stainless steel performs well in a wide range of environments, making it a highly versatile material for countless applications.
- Cost-efficient – stainless steel tubing can help save money in the long term because it is durable and cheaper to maintain than other metals.
Uses of stainless steel tubing in instrumentation
The advantages of stainless steel tubing mean it is used for a wide variety of hydraulic and pneumatic applications across many industries. It is particularly relied upon in high-pressure, high-temperature applications or where corrosion is an issue for other materials.
- Marine applications – seawater environments are particularly prone to corrosion, and materials must be able to withstand these harsh conditions. Due to its resistance to corrosion, stainless steel is the optimal material for such applications.
- High-pressure applications – in high-pressure applications, you need materials that are able to perform well under the difficult conditions. Many industries, such as mining, construction and agriculture, make use of stainless steel tubing in high pressure applications because it is more reliable than other materials.
- Sanitary applications – when piping is used for handling food or other substances that require a high level of sanitation, stainless steel is ideal. Due to its corrosion resistance, stainless steel will not infect the tubing with unhealthy or toxic substances.
- Mining applications – offshore and onshore mining applications regularly rely on stainless steel tubing because it is highly durable and able to cope with the demanding conditions.
Where to buy high quality stainless steel tubing
At Hydraulic Solutions and Sales, we supply a wide range of high quality stainless steel tubing, compression fittings, clamp fittings and quick disconnects, for any hydraulic or pneumatic application. For advice about the right product for your needs, or to find out more information, get in touch with us today.